Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Cures for a sore throat

So for the last four days I've been out of commission due to a sore throat.



This is how it went down. On Thursday at my swim I was feeling off but just figured I was a bit tired but Friday I woke up and felt like crap and my throat was sore. I thought I was getting a cold however by evening I was feeling worse. I could hardly swallow but it definitely was not a head cold. Saturday morning came and I wondered when the heck did I swallow this golf ball. Everything was so swollen I was finding that even my breathing was hampered. I went off to see the Doctor, who told me that it was probably just a virus I'd have to ride it out but she took a throat swab for good measure.



By Saturday afternoon I was miserable and the thought of another 4 to 5 days of this and missing my training had me pretty desperate. I started googling and found this cayenne pepper remedy on earth clinic. It basically consists of gargling with 1 cup of warm water and 1/8 a teaspoon of cayenne pepper. I usually don't try these home remedies but I as I said I was desperate. Strangely enough despite the icky taste it wasn't too bad and my throat started to feel slightly better, by bed time it was mildly sore but the golf ball had subsided. Sunday was a bit sore but it was getting better. On Monday the pain was pretty much gone but it would sting occasionally if I drank pop or if I sneezed. Then I got a call from the Doctor...it turns out that I had Strep throat and I should take antibiotics. Weird my throat is definitely feeling better and I haven't even taken the antibiotics.



If I get another sore throat I would definitely use this remedy again. Hopefully I will start some light training today.

No comments: