Friday, August 31, 2007

Run, Swim, Run, Swim...


I am now completely reconciled to the fact that I'm not biking this week and I won't be swimming much next week. Instead of allowing myself to get too bent out of shape about it I'm trying to use the time each week to focus on the other two sports.
The interesting thing that I have observed is that I feel much stronger in both my swimming and my running this week. I've been able to keep up a faster pace and my swimming intervals have felt so good. Next week I'll be able to bike again and on a new bike, yeah I'm SOOOOOO excited. With all the pool closures I have decided to do an extra swim this weekend and then when the pools reopen the following weekend I'll fit in a swim then. So in the end I'll only be off swimming for 5 days. It's all good.
The only thing that has really started to worry me is that I've had this nagging pain/tightness in my left knee. It's not exactly my knee, it's on the inside towards the back sort of hamstring and in fact when I stretch my hamstring I can really feel it. I've been really focusing on regular stretching in the last week both after my work outs and in the evening while I'm sitting around watching tv. It's so easy for those stretching sessions to fall off the schedule. I know I sometimes get kind of lax about stretching when I get back from running or biking. I'm always good about stretching my upper body during and after my swim because if I don't my shoulder almost always acts up. I'm sure that this knee pain is related to tight muscles (probably hamstring) I've been so busy with the kids and the end of my semester I just haven't had any time to get in to physio. Although I'm sure that I'll get the third degree for not stretching properly. They are really awesome though, They deal with a lot of sports injuries because they are at the University and all the collegiate teams come to them. Hopefully next week or so I can get in. My kids will be back to school and my little monkey will be at daycare. (If they don't end up on a darn labour strike.)

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Being a mom and trying to get workouts in must be really tough. I found I can take a week off without losing anything. I do get tight from sitting around though. You can do a lot of stretching and weights around without having to leave the house, which is convenient.