Wednesday, August 22, 2007

what recovery week?

I had an AMAZING ride today. Okay granted it was supposed to be a rest/recovery week and I have up until today cut back my hours on Mon and Tues. I just felt so great and the weather was nice and I could smell the scent of flowers in the air. I didn't realize that I would travel quite as far as I had. I have to say Vancouver is a pretty good city to ride in, the streets are relatively bike friendly(cars are not as tolerant of cyclists but the streets are very nicely set up) I have started to explore different routes because I was getting very bored of circling around my neighbourhood and now that I can go out for 2 hours I can go lots of new places. As I was saying I ended up doing a 2 hour and 15 min ride. Although at 1 and 45 I knew I had probably overdone it a bit. My quads were burning and tired. Ooops.

In 12 days I get my new bike! Yipeee! My Dad is going to come over with it and we are going to set up the basement so that all three bikes can be hung up on the wall. I don't have tons of space so by hanging them it should work out quite well. It's pushed me into organize mode around here because I need to go through all my clutter down there (and all over the house really) and get ride of all the junk. I can't wait to get out on the road bike, I can imagine myself flying through my work out. Sometimes when I'm out on the Tank I feel pretty sl0w. I keep my cadence up but all too often I'm passed by some serious roadie on a tricked out lite speed bike. I console myself that it is not entirely my athletic ability to blame I am after all riding a pretty heavy mountain bike. Even my Brother who inherited a version of my Tank from my Dad is finding it difficult. In fact he has hardly gone out on his as he says not only is it heavy but the gearing isn't very smooth. So at least I have the perseverance to continue training even if I'm on a less than optimal bike.

No comments: