Sunday, July 8, 2007

First and Foremost

So here we are my first ever post in my first ever Blog. How did I get here? I guess it really all started when I could no longer claim that my pants were getting tight because they were shrinking in the dryer. The weight gain really snuck up on me. Somehow between 3 kids, a divorce and going back to University I had become sorely out of shape and could hardly climb one flight of stairs at the University without huffing and puffing. This was bad, REALLY BAD. I had always been really fit so in May 2006 I got fed up of feeling tired and out of shape, and I started running again. It wasn't far or for very long but I went and that was what was important.

In Aug 2006 I decided to start swimming. I was a competitive swimmer in my teens but those first few workouts were extremely humbling. I could hardly do more than a 100 yards at a time. Yikes. (Now I can do 2,500 yards)

In Sept I dusted off the hand me down mountain bike my Mom had given me and decided I wanted to train up to doing a Triathlon. Now this bike is hardly racing material. It's heavy and well it's just really heavy but it's better than no bike. Soon I will be able to upgrade and then I will feel more ready to race.

All in all I've seen huge changes over the year. In the beginning I only ran about 2 k and now on my overdistance days I run 18k. I already mentioned the swim and I had never cycled much before and now attend spin classes or hit the roads at 5:30 am. I've lost 25 lbs, I have so much more energy and I was only sick once this year. I also raced in an Aquathon (1k swim and a 10k run) and I even placed. Well there weren't that many woman racing but hey sometimes it's all about suiting up and showing up! I am planning to do a half marathon in Nov.

So that's it, my training up until now in a nutshell.

No comments: