Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Encouraging an active lifestyle

I am so excited for my son, my parents bought him a good quality Mountain Bike. I could never have afforded what they bought for him. My son (who is 9) was so excited about picking up this bike. While we were at Caps bike store picking up his new pick, I also bought him a new helmet and cycling gloves. We even got to go for a ride together when we arrived home. I loved going out and riding with my son. It wasn't exactly a training ride for me since we only went out for about 20 min and I had to keep a slower pace so that my son wouldn't feel frustrated in trying to keep up. I really really hope that we will be able to cycle together often, it's such a great way to spend time together. Both my older kids play soccer and baseball but I really enjoy actually doing stuff together.

Then my little daughter she has been obsessed with Nature walks. We live at the base of Burnaby Mountain and there are lots of trails and green space within the vicinity. We just head out the door and off we go for a mini hike/ nature walk. On Saturday we went out for two hours and last night for an hour. I'm amazed that she can walk so far because she is only 3 years old. She really seems to love it and I love to be doing something active with her.

On a training note, I'm jammin out bad. This morning my alarm went off at 4:30 and I just could not get into getting up for a bike ride. I turned off the alarm and went back to sleep. Mind you I had a 20 year high school reunion on Saturday night and didn't arrive home until 2 in the morning so I think I'm still catching up on my sleep. I had already decided to cut out my swim today because I'm trying to finish up an essay for school and am worried that I will run out of time. Although yesterday I had that short ride with my son and I went for a 45 min easy run and after dinner went out for an hour "nature walk" with my daughter. So all in all I'm not just sitting around being a couch potato, I'm still active and I think that this counts as active recovery, doesn't it?

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I think it's so neat that you're involving your kids with an active lifestyle from an early age. That will stay with them their whole lives.

Kate said...

it's so cool that you're being active with your kids- I love that your 3 year old enjoys nature walks!