Sunday, October 14, 2007

On the Mend

Slowly I'm starting to feel better. This had been one doozy of a flu. My lungs are still very congested and I still can't really breathe out of my nose. I've had to sit out on two particularly beautiful days that would have been perfect for a ride. I hope to get back to my regular training schedule early next week. I'll have to play it by ear.

When you get really sick it's easy to doubt what you're doing. I started to wonder if I was crazy. Everything is relative. I've been hanging around more active people, others who train for marathons and triathlons, ironmans so when you talk about training hours, 10 hours of training a week can sound like nothing. Then this weekend I went out with friends of mine, they were asking me about what event was coming up and I told them about the Fall Classic half marathon that is in November. They almost fell over when I explained that I'd be running 21k. It doesn't seem like a biggee to me, I think about it, plan it, train it. worry about it but I know that I'll do it even if it's not that fast. They just couldn't believe it. When I talk to other average joe family's I realize that what I do is unusual. It's just a part of who I am now, it's incorporated into my regular day and into my regular being. I wouldn't want it any other way and I know I question myself sometimes...about whether I'm crazy or obsessive but when I think of the alternative...sitting around being a couch potato it's not that appealing so I bumble along with my training plans and strive to be the best me I can

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with you so much. Its easy to feel that your own training is not that big a deal. Its only when, as you say, average joes, find out that you go out however many times a week, rain or shine, that you realise you are not the norm. And that is a good thing. As you say, I could not imagine just sitting about doing no exercise at all. AWFUL. S

Unknown said...

I agree with you so much. Its easy to feel that your own training is not that big a deal. Its only when, as you say, average joes, find out that you go out however many times a week, rain or shine, that you realise you are not the norm. And that is a good thing. As you say, I could not imagine just sitting about doing no exercise at all. AWFUL. S

Benson said...

Amen.
You are on the right track and your lifestyle now is so good. Good for you and isn't it great to open other peoples eyes to the good life? Being a good example is a powerful thing.
Glad you're getting over the flu bug so you can get back at wowing other folks...and yourself.