Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Back to Training

I went out for a 11k run yesterday after being off for 2 weeks. I'm so glad to be able to get back to my training schedule. It just feels so strange to not be out for a run or a bike or a swim. It wasn't the best run I've ever done, but it was pretty solid. (and I was lucky enough to have the rain stop just before I headed out for the trail.) Although I'm feeling much better I was still coughing and choking up muck. Because of that I kept my run to 11k rather than the 20k I had planned and I chose to hold off one more day for Master swim club. I just don't want to set myself back.

I'm feeling a bit better about slow. I timed my run and it took me 75 min to complete the 11k which gives me an average of 6.8 to 7 min per km. So while this makes me less than speedy it's respectable enough and I think by next week as I start to feel even more healthy and recovered that this might even speed up a bit. Furthermore I know that I can keep up this pace over the full 21k so that's all right. I think as part of my training plan next season I will incorporate more speed work. (Not too much.) To date my focus has been almost exclusively on endurance work so I know that I can keep up a nice steady pace and go and go and go. Not super fast but I know that I could keep up that pace over a whole race. And this is true in the swim, bike and run. Well the swimming I actually have done intervals and worked some on speed. So I think considering that I only began seriously considering triathlon racing last year this is pretty good. I have told myself all along to not push so hard that I burn out or get injured because I would like to see myself continue training for Triathlons for years and years rather than it be just a one year or two year goal. Today I'm okay with slow and steady because in the end I will win my race in my heart and in my spirit and that's really what it's all about anyway.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad to hear that you are on the mend.When is your Half Marathon ? I will click on the Fall Classic in a minute to read about it.It must feel great to have been training for a year and a half. Like you, I just want this to go on and on and not be a phase. I would love to be running when I am in my 60's or later.Do you wear a bumbag when you run to keep drinks/gels in ? Thanks for your help on my blog - it makes a real difference to hear from people who are out there doing it and can speak from experience. Take care. S

Benson said...

So good to hear you're feeling well and getting back to a little training. Slow and steady is a good way to go for now. You'll snap back into it quickly and your race will go great.

Rachel said...

Good for you for taking it slow. There will always be people faster than you. You just have to pace yourself and stay within your limits. And respect your body, especially as you are recovering from your illness.

Unknown said...

Where are you ??!! I miss you. Hope you are ok and just not blogging rather than ill or not training !!!! S

JeffM said...

How did the new balance go?

Benson said...

Hey Erika,
Been missing you for a couple months now. I hope you're OK.
Come on back to blog land and say Hi, we'd love to hear from you.

Unknown said...

Erika, now I am missing you and need to know if you are ok !! Please let us know. Sarah x

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Servidor, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://servidor-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Unknown said...

Hey!!!! You came to visit me. Are you still there ?Start blogging again!!! Come by my blog again at least! S