Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Oh to be training again.

So it turns out flu has turned to bronchitis. This has been the biggest setback in my Training to date. Although I'm glad that it's not an injury because soon I will be well again and should suffer no long term chronic difficulties. I am really itching to get back to my training schedule. But I haven't just been sitting around on my duff feeling sorry for myself. (Okay I have done that at moments but not the whole day.) I've used the extra time to do some extra reading up on Triathlon training both in books/magazines/on line sites and other bloggers. I've also used the time to get extra rest so that in theory I should recover faster. I also have been doing some stretching to keep things limber.

It's not too much longer before I begin my taper for my half marathon. I plan that after the half marathon I will take kind of a training break. I'll keep going to my Masters swim club throughout Dec but I think I might keep the runs and bikes kind of low key. Dec is such a wonky month for me in terms of training. Christmas Parties and family visits throw everything off. Notice that I said I would keep things low key which does not give me a license to sit on the couch and indulge in irrational consumption of Christmas goodies. I also plan at the end of Nov to do some strength training, along with the spin classes. I really enjoy the spin classes that they have at the recreation center near my home. Then come January I will follow a 20 week training plan. I hope to race in the same Aqualathon as I did this year (1k swim/ 10k run), it's very local but it was fun and I just would like to see how my race time has improved as I'm certain even now only 6 months after that I would see a difference. That race is in April and then there is a Sprint that I'd like to do in May and possibly an Olympic in Aug or this could be a Sprint if I don't think I'm ready for the Olympic. My biggest fears about any race is always that I will be so horrifically slow that everyone else finishes long before I even come close to the finish line. Why that bothers me, I'm not sure. I guess no one wants to look foolish or embarrass themselves. It's funny that most people wouldn't even attempt any race so why I should think I look foolish when I'm at least out there...I don't know.

So I pray to the training gods that in the next few days I will be strong enough to do even some light training. I think if I'm not totally ready to run, I might at least go for a brisk walk. I'd just like to be out there, I really miss it.

3 comments:

Benson said...

Good on ya for having a plan.
It never hurts to throw in a few training sessions during the holidays just to burn off some steam/stress/goodies.
Rest your lungs as much as you can and you'll be fine for the taper phase and race day.
Please put away those feelings of embarassment or foolishness. It's all good fun and triathletes don't judge eachother based on finish times. It's your character and spirit that shines through that we triathageeks see. Finishing a race is just the iceing.
Go for it with gusto.

Unknown said...

I agree with Benson. You go for it girl !! You know that noone who runs, swims, bikes, or does any type of sport, would ever make that kind of judgement. Everyone just thinks " Good on you for being out there !!" When you are over the illness you will think " Why did I ever doubt myself ??!!" S

JeffM said...

If it helps, one of the Olympic distance races I did last year was one of my worst. Finished last in my age group and almost last overall. But it was still fun to be out there doing a race.